Thursday, September 4, 2008

Excited about politics?

A few years ago, my life almost revolved around politics. As a state government reporter, I spent most of my time around politicians. I knew the issues. I understood the process. And I knew many government officials personally.

Maybe I understood politics a little too well. Since becoming a stay-at-home mom, I have pretty much tuned out politics. I have become so disinterested in that world that it's hard to believe it was ever such a big part of my life.

But suddenly, I'm interested in politics again.

Did you watch Sarah Palin give her speech at the Republican National Convention? I can't remember the last time I listened to a female speaker who inspired me. I wasn't embarrassed for her. I wasn't wondering how she would handle her critics. She drew me in, and I didn't want to just turn her off and tune her out.

I'm not saying that I agree with everything about her.

But I do like her style. She took on Obama without seeming whiny. She's strong, gutsy, dynamic and, yes, ... inspiring. I have never wanted a woman in an elected position because of her gender. But I am intrigued by watching such a strong political force who is a woman.

I spent some time this morning reading the reviews of her speech... trying to catch up on her stand on the issues. That's something I haven't done in a long time.

This stay-at-home, minivan-driving mom is actually excited about politics again.

1 comment:

lynn04 said...

I have to say, last night before Governer Palin started to speak, that I was very disinterested. I was lying in bed, not even looking at the t.v. screen, just sort of listening. I can even recall asking my husband, "How does she look?" Then, she made the comment about the difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull...lipstick! I started to pay attention. I like her approach, and I am very interested in learning more about her. Why, EJWN, that could be YOU someday!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails