Tuesday, April 21, 2009

you're the best person in the whole world

I've always been a bit of a birthday card snob. It just seems like the biggest scam in the world to pay $3.99 to buy a birthday card!

Over the years, I have tried to revolt against Hallmark and it's high-priced cards in many ways. I've made cards: I've done the computer-generated cards. I've rubber stamped. Heck, I've even drawn pictures and used stickers.

Then, I started going the route of buying something else for the same price (or less) than a greeting card and adding a personal message. I've given journals. Calendars. Little inspirational books.

But I have to admit that since the card companies started making those cards with the sound chips, I have no problem plunking down $5 for a greeting card. I have spent some good chunks of time standing in the card aisle lately listening to "Super Freak", "Brick House", "All Star", "I Feel Good" and the other famous songs they put inside those cards.

And I love it when I get one of those. Not only does it make me laugh, but it becomes a toy for my kids. They run around all day with it. Open. Close. Open. Close.

My hilarious friend, Caryl, got me one of the funniest sound chip cards I have ever heard. And truly, people, even though you can't get the full effect without hearing it, it would not be fair if I didn't share it with you here.

The card features Hoops&Yoyo, those little bunny-like creatures with the strange, slightly-demented voices.

The front of the card says, "You're the best person in the whole world! And we should know..."

"We searched every corner of the globe to prove it!"

When you open the card, you hear Hoops&Yoyo panting, as if they've been running.

"Hah, hah, hah (panting)... It's true. It's true. Yeah. We just got back. And you are the best.

"We went alphabetically. We just got back from Zimbabwe. Algeria, Angola, we went through all the aaaahs.

"We actually made it all the way through China. And you wouldn't believe. You wouldn't beeeelieeevee how many people are in China. There's a lot of people. LOOOOTTTS of people in China. We knocked on a lot of doors. And it's true. It's true. You are the best."

That's it. I'm sold. I love Hoops&Yoyo. They even have a blog.

2 comments:

Jenny-Jenny said...

I love love love Hoops and YoYo! When I send e-cards I almost always choose them.

Hey..I've been away for a few days and missed your big day. Happy Happy 40th! I'm tellin ya...it just gets better from here.

I hope your day was the best ever!

Love, Jenny

Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom said...

Hehehe I love those sound chip cards too... So nice and loud and cheery! And your Hoops & Yoyo one sounds especially fun/...

Related Posts with Thumbnails