Monday, July 13, 2009

Does that come with a cup holder?

I've had a little is-sue the past week or so.

I have been coughing. And coughing. And coughing. I keep thinking it's going to get better. But it doesn't.

Actually, I usually feel pretty good during the day. Except for the fact that I'm so tired from coughing the entire night.

I have found one thing that helps, though. Ice chips. I get up in the middle of the night and get a cup of crushed ice. I lay in bed, holding the ice and eating it until I stop coughing.

The only problem with this plan is that I'm afraid I will fall asleep and spill the ice all over myself. And that is going to be worse than the coughing.

So, last night, I was thinking that what I need is a bedside cup holder. I'm picturing one of those clip-on cup holders that used to be sold for a car. Remember those? You would clip them on the side of the window.

I'm pretty sure my parents had one in their big red station wagon with the faux wood paneling on the side.

That must have been before cars came equipped with cup holders. Of course, cars also didn't have seat belts in the back seats. Or even back seats, for that matter. We would just sit in the very back of the station wagon or lie down and take a nap.

The hanging cup holder worked great unless it was full of a red slurpie and someone slammed the door shut. That wasn't so great.

Just think. Maybe the bedside cup holder will lead to as many inventions as the carside cup holder. I mean, think about it! Now, cars always come with cup holders. Not to mention seat belts. And seats. And air bags. And cruise control.

It might turn out that even people who don't have bronchitis, pneumonia or even croup will start wanting cups of ice in their bedside cup holders.

Then, I realized that maybe most people with respiratory illnesses just place their cups of crushed ice on the night stand. And, I'm sorry to report that because we have lived with the same hand-me-down furniture for longer than I can admit, we don't have a night stand.

So, actually, what we need is new bedroom furniture.

Well, I was afraid that you all might start to worry about me since I haven't posted for so long. Hopefully, this post will ease your mind that I am completely fine. And not a bit delirious from lack of sleep.


Don't miss a post. Subscribe in a reader!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily! So sorry you are not well! That's no fun! I feel the need to fashion a cup holder for my pregnant, coughing friend.
Feel better, please! I miss your posts!
:) Lynn

Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom said...

Haha I know exactly the cupholders you mean! It does seem like they should be able to adapt one of those to hang on a bedframe...

I'm sorry about the coughing, that's really frustrating... I hope you feel better! If you spilled the ice, maybe you'd dream you were having a picnic in Alaska?

everydayMOM said...

I crack myself up. I just had to tell myself how funny I think I am.

Sarah said...

LOL

Related Posts with Thumbnails