Sunday, October 10, 2010

My upside-down neighborhood

I have a confession to make.

I think I'm in love.

With fall.

I love the cool mornings. I love the crisp evenings. I love the unseasonably hot reminders of summer. I love the turning leaves. I love the 7 a.m. sunrise and the 6 p.m. sunset.

I love the early morning walks and the late afternoon bike rides.

Everywhere I go, I can't resist the urge to take out my camera, as if I can somehow preserve this season and pull it back out in the middle of February when I am overcome by a world of cold and grey. I've been so enamored with fall that it's like I've never experienced it before.

And, in a way, I don't think I have really stopped to fully enjoy this gorgeous season for a while. Last year, I was in my third trimester of pregnancy and spent most days propping up my feet in the morning and sneaking in a nap in the afternoon. The six falls before that, I was immersed in the super busy season of my business.

This fall, if I catch a waft of burning leaves or that indescribable scent of fallen leaves, I want to suck it in and hold it in my lungs as long as possible before I exhale. I've been noticing the beauty all around me even in our cookie cutter corner of suburbia where the trees have finally matured enough to produce a slightly respectable pile of leaves.

This evening, our family went for a bike ride and on the way home, I had to stop and stare at these trees reflected off the still pond as the sun was starting to set behind us.



This weeping willow looked so happy staring at her reflection in the glass.



And what about these upside-down houses? I wish I could step right inside their doorways and walk with my body dangling from the floor.


What's your favorite part about fall?


Don't miss a post. Subscribe in a reader!

Get everydayMOM in your Facebook news feed.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I LOVE FALL! I love football the most, I think. :)

Jenny-Jenny said...

You said it! Just right! Crisp and cool, colorful and happy. Add in a little football and it is a wonderful time of year. Somehow fall makes me want to bake and do spring cleaning?!?

Related Posts with Thumbnails