Tuesday, February 1, 2011

One month down...

I know it seems silly to write about anything OTHER than the winter storm that is about to paralyze America, but I decided to take this moment during the calm to distract you with other topics. Actually, I was driving home last night from a meeting during the prelude to Snowmageddon, and I decided I better stop mocking the weather reports. When the weather people say a blizzard is coming, I think they are serious.

But while we wait, here's some other news.

Despite my very indecisive start, I'm quite happy that I have completed the first month of my New Year's resolution!

I have taken a photo and blogged about it every day so far of 2011. (Click here to check it out.) It's not meant to be one of those projects to capture a single gorgeous image for 365 days straight, although I totally admire the many people who are doing that. Instead, I'm just trying to remember one moment from each day of the year.

Here are a few of my observations about my endeavor:

1. When I think of our days as a whole, I often think we lead a fairly boring life. However, when I look back at each moment, I feel immensely blessed.

2. It can be a challenge to find something to photograph. We often do the same things every day or every week. (Do I really want to take a photo of my daughter's gymnastics class EVERY Wednesday?) It forces me to look for one little thing that I would want to remember from each day.

3. It's not a completely accurate account of our lives. Of course, I don't take pictures of the kids arguing or someone lying on the couch with a fever and runny nose. Many days, the "highlight" of the day isn't something I want to photograph either because it involves other people. I don't want to make people worry they will "end up on the blog" or cause other people to feel left out if we got together with friends.

4. I'm still trying to decide if it was a good idea to post the photos on a totally separate blog. I like the fact that I'm not overwhelming my regular readers with every little detail of our lives. And yet, I feel like I'm omitting some fun stuff from this blog because I posted it over there. I'm still working through that one.

5. I'm glad that I decided to take my own challenge. I'm not putting a ton of pressure on myself, but it's always in the back of my mind that I need to "find my photo of the day."

So, today, I wanted to invite you to check out what we've been up to in January. (You can see the looooong list of links for January on the right-hand side of my other blog.) I don't expect people to want to read about us in this much detail on a daily basis. But feel free to become a follower or subscribe, if you are interested.

Let me know what you think! And tell me how things are going with you. Have you been sticking to your new year's goals so far this year?



dec2010emily

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails