Saturday, February 14, 2009

old enough to be... WHAT?!?

A few months ago, I set up a booth selling Discovery Toys at a day-long conference. A nice man had a booth next to me for the pharmaceutical company that he represents.

The guy was probably in his 60's. He immediately struck up a conversation with me and we chatted most of the day.

I had invited one of the new consultants on my team to stop by to see how I set up my booth. This woman has been out of college a few years. She worked as a teacher and now stays home with her 1-year-old son.

After the woman left, the older man asked me, "Was that your daughter?"

"WHAT'S YOU TALKIN ABOUT WILLIS?!?" I answered in my head. Then I replied, "Ummm. No."

"Do you have children?" the man asked.

"Yes. They are EIGHT. SIX. AND F-O-U-R!" I answered.

Well, today I was working another booth and the same woman came to help. We were chatting about her mother-in-law. She explained that her husband's mother is very young to be a grandma. She's 40.

40.

For the record, I am NOT old enough to be this woman's mother. I am exactly 39 years, nine months and three weeks old.

Not 40.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow! That's funny! I think that once the big 4-0 gets here and is gone, you will feel much better. In the meantime, I will be wracking (racking?) my brain to come up with some grand form of torture for you on your big day!

I love you Emil!

:] Lynn-a-mint

everydayMOM said...

Ha, ha, ha!! Thanks, Lynnamint! Now, you seem to be handling your transition to the 40s without a second thought! You haven't even started a blog to whine on and on about it, or anything! What's your secret?

Gretta said...

Hey Emily.....thanks for your sweet comment on our blog. Nice to reconnect. I like the "look" of your blog! Pretty color choices! Maybe when I come out of "my darkness".....I'll have to get a little more colorful.....
Thanks for your support!
Gretta :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily... I love how you can make me laugh out loud! Makes my husband wonder what I'm reading... thank you!
Laurel

Anonymous said...

So that means you'll always be just a little too young to be her mother, then, right? =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails