Sunday, May 29, 2011

My extreme workout revealed

I've had several people ask me lately about my workout routine. I know a lot of people are into P90X right now. I have friends training for marathons or 10Ks. Others do spin class, boot camp or other types of extreme workout classes with fancy names.

Me? I'm more of a runner. I have been sticking with the same routine for the past 10 years or so and it has really been working well for me.

Basically, the way it works is that every so often, I decide to strap on my running shoes and go out for a 1-mile run. This typically happens about once every two years (give or take six months or so). That is why I named it My Biannual Run. This should not be confused with a semi-annual run, which would be a 1-mile run twice a year. This is once every two years, so you really have to stay on top of your calendar.

Now, I run about a 14-minute mile, so it's really a sight to see if I come jogging down the sidewalk. "Jogging" isn't really the right word, but I have been looking through the Thesaurus and I'm not sure there's a word in the English language that really describes what I do. It's not really an "amble." "Meander" doesn't work, or "mosey." "Stroll" isn't quite right or "toddle." "Sashay" is close, only because there is a bit of a swing to it.

So, the entire time I am sashaying my one-mile run, I am thinking about how I am going to continue doing this more than once every two years. I think about doing it three times a week. I decide I am going to work my way up to three miles and then six.

The problem is that with a workout routine like mine, all conditions have to be perfect before I can set out on My Biannual Run.


  • I have to check with all of my runner friends who live in or near my neighborhood to find out when and where they run and then I have to completely avoid those routes. There is nothing more discouraging than being passed by someone you know. Trust me.
  • I have to run when it's starting to get dark outside, but not totally dark. This is so people don't stop and stare at me when I'm running. When you run a 14-minute mile, people tend to roll down their windows and ask if you need help. They aren't sure if you are ill or maybe you are trying to run from something. I don't like to cause people to worry.
  • At the same time, it can't be too dark because of the tripping factor. I can't even tell you how many times I have had to run the last half mile with bloody knees because I tripped on the sidewalk.
  • Finally, I can't be hungry. But I don't want to eat too close to the run. I could get a side ache, which could cause me to have to walk.


So, to find all of these conditions lining up at exactly the same time is difficult. In fact, it only happens about once every two years. But let me tell you. When it does. I am ready.

That's basically the key to my whole workout. Just stay ready. Have cute jogging clothes on hand and be prepared to put them on at a moment's notice. And when the workout is done, you can take a deep breath because a moment like that probably won't come around again for a while.



dec2010emily

5 comments:

Angie said...

That's hilarious! I feel the same way over here, but I'm sure it's much harder for you to get out and run than it is for me.

Jenny-Jenny said...

I have a friend who calls her running a wog. That is a cross between jog and walk. You'd like her!

everydayMOM said...

Angie, maybe we should go for a run sometime? I'll be ready in about 18 months. Right now, I'm busy shopping for JUST the right outfit and some matching socks.

everydayMOM said...

Jenny, WOG!! That's IT! That's the perfect description! Maybe she can be like the kid in "Frindle" and get that word in the dictionary and make a million bucks! I would love to meet your friend someday!

Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom said...

Hehehehe you make me laugh! Especially the part about not wanting to get past by someone you know... right there with you on that one. :P

Related Posts with Thumbnails